The law as friend - a new thought thanks to Sinclair Ferguson

Listening to the following lecture by Dr. Sinclair Ferguson I was struck by many things. The thing that most stood out was a story and quote around the hour and 8 minute mark. Dr. Ferguson speaks of a quote from a minister spoken to him many years past. 

"The hardest part of my task is persuading evangelical ministers of the ongoing relevance of the law of God in the Christian life"  (O.R. Johnson)

Ferguson goes on to then say...

"[this] is staggering because if we are new covenant Christians what's written in our hearts is the law of God, and it's our friend in Christ. That's why as a friend it sometimes pokes our conscience, because faithful are the wounds of a friend"

This made me pause. I know Calvin and Luther's systematic representation of the law as teacher, as guide, and as path. While I'm sure I've heard faithful ministers of the gospel speak of the law as friend, this combination had never struck me in this way before. 

The law as friend? I guess I had not realized just how much I've marinated in the sauces of antinomianism and license. The law as an internal friend rather than an external expectation. Many a times I've taught on the fulfillment of the law through Christ. I've often preached and taught how fulfillment doesn't mean "abolish" or "removal". Yet I've never quite thought so positively of the law as to call it "friend". 

Johnson (and Ferguson then continuing off of Johnson) are of course referring back to the new Covenant which Christ inaugurated and secured which was explicitly spoken of in Jeremiah 31:33. 

“This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

I've understood for as long as I can remember that the law instructs and convicts, restrains and rebukes.  So often law is spoken of only in relationship to justification and so it is put in opposition "law vs gospel". So often law is contrasted with God's mercy in Christ. Yet for the law to be written on my heart as a gift of God with the love and intentionality of a friend? This was something that had never hit me before. That the law of God written on our very hearts is a proactive benefit for the Christian walk, not a weight. 

I think this will be my new way of discussing the law with believers who are so opposed to the Old Testament that they cast it off or refuse to engage since it is "old" and "Christ has fulfilled it, so I don't need to know it". While there are plenty of other exceptional reasons to dive into God's word in the Old Testament, I've never thought before of speaking about the law in relationship to the new covenant with such a persuasive and attractive word as "friend". 

We sing this truth so often and yet my dull and proud eyes have missed it. "What a friend we have in Jesus". It is the gift of God that he has given to us his law in our minds and on our hearts. What a friend indeed to give such a life sustaining gift! Not only are we free from the law as a means of earning our own status before God, we are also freely given the law on our new hearts to be our very near friend. In the law we witness the character of our glorious God. We can see not only all the things which are an offense to God, but also all the things which are a delight. 

I was listening a few days ago to a lecture by Dr. Joel Beeke (a faithful minister of the gospel whom I was blessed to be catechized under and receive pastoring from for a time). The topic was on handling criticism as a minister. He quoted a puritan (of course Dr. Beeke would quote a puritan!) who said (I'm paraphrasing from memory here, I cannot find the timestamp of the quote presently):

"A minister's life should be the living transcript of his sermons". 

If this is the case, then since all our preaching of the law is on the goodness, righteousness, delightfulness, and pleasure as there is to be found in the law of God, it then follows there also ought to be a life lived with a close-knit friendship with the law of God. The law ought not to be something any further from my actions than my own heartbeat. This gives me new eyes to consider and ask questions of Psalm 119, wherein almost every lyric is praise to the Lord for the benefit and goodness of the law:

11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. 12 Praise be to you, Lord; teach me your decrees. 13 With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. 14 I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. [Psalm 119:11-14]

Is the law of God such a friend that I consult it and seek it's counsel? Do I submit myself to learn from a gentle, loving friend, or only a stern school master? Do I take joy in obedience, or do I only find duty and obligation? Am I finding great leaps and bounds of satisfaction in triumphing against evil as though I've won the jackpot?

51The arrogant mock me unmercifully, but I do not turn from your law. 52 I remember, Lord, your ancient laws, and I find comfort in them. [Psalm 119:51-52]

How much external pressure does it take for me to reject the Lord's word in favor of human preferences? Where do I run for comfort? Is God's law, which was promised by God to be written on new covenant believers' hearts, a comfort to me?  

54 Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge. 55 In the night, Lord, I remember your name, that I may keep your law. [Psalm 119:54-55]

Are God's decrees the tune of my travels? When the night closes in and rest or restlessness besets me, do I remember God's holy name so that I may continually delight in obeying the Lord?  

71 It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees. 72 The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold. [Psalm 119:71-72]

Is the law such a good thing that it's worth experiencing pain to learn it? Is the law of God more precious to me than wealth and material gain? Do I pursue the law of God with a heart that is ambitious or do I pursue my old sinful ways with reckless abandon?  

I'll think more on this in days to come, but this has been something quite profound to think on today. I will have to pray on this and consider how this will interact with and inform my own living, teaching and preaching on God's law. 


Comments

Popular Posts