Sent & Sending in the Gospel of John

Jesus was sent, Jesus then sent, and Jesus did send. 

Over the past year I am finding myself over and over going back to the Gospel of John and falling more and more in love with Jesus. I hold no grudges against the other gospels of Matthew, Mark, or Luke. Perhaps this is merely a part of my own journey or a phase, but the way how John reveals who Jesus is grows my affection and confidence in our God. 

The verb "send" or "sent" is used 32 times in the Gospel of John. Being "sent" matters as it becomes a question of authority, position, power, and jurisdiction. Think of some children playing together. One of them decides to begin climbing a fence. "Hey, you aren't allowed to do that!" says one of the other children. "Oh yeah? Who sent you to be in charge?" retorts the climber. 

Being sent by someone carries with it weight. Representatives act on behalf of others who otherwise are not present. Those who are sent often bear a message, or act on behalf of the sending party. In John's Gospel the issue of who sent Jesus is one that continually comes up. "πέμπω" (Pempo is how you pronounce this ancient Greek word) is the word that gets used to denote being sent, or sending. 

30 out of the 32 uses of this word are by Jesus (the other two instances are people questioning John the Baptist in 1:22 and John the Baptist in 1:33). While teaching Jesus would frequently refer to the one who sent him: 

22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him. (Jn 5:22–23)

36 “I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to finish—the very works that I am doing—testify that the Father has sent me. (Jn 5:36) 

38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. (Jn 6:38)

16 But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. (Jn 8:16)

24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. (Jn 14:24)

5 but now I am going to him who sent me. (Jn 16:5)

Jesus was continually referring, revealing, and teaching about the one who sent him. In this way Jesus was sent. His ministry was not a "Jesus only" thing. Jesus was not a "rogue" or "lone ranger". He was zealously pursuing the mission he had been given. His earthly life was one marked by being sent. Meaning that his authority, and claims were not based on his own merits (although that would have been enough!), but instead his authority and claims were based on the one who sent him. 

Jesus also promised someone would be sent. 

26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (Jn 14:26)

26 “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. (Jn 15:26)

7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. (Jn 16:7)

Jesus taught that the Holy Spirit, otherwise named the Advocate in the NIV, would come from the Father and from Jesus. That this Advocate the Holy Spirit would come after Jesus returned to the Father. This Advocate was going to be sent. The Advocate would not be "God's JV team" although the Holy Spirit is sometimes thought of in this way. The Advocate would be a tremendous helper, teacher, and witness. Jesus saw his earthly departure and heavenly ascension as a great thing. Jesus' departure was not to be a source of sorrow, but a source of rejoicing as the helper who would come would come being sent by the Father and Jesus the Son. 

The last time the word for sent or send is used in John's Gospel comes in John chapter 20. 

21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” (Jn 20:21)

What an amazing thing for Jesus to say to his disciples! Jesus had spoken so often about being sent by his Father. Jesus had relied upon his being sent as the point of reference for his own authority, teaching, and goals. Jesus depended on his Father as the mission he was on, was one that was commissioned, or appointed by the Father. In other words, without being sent by the Father, Jesus wouldn't have been on the mission, or had the goals he did have. His purpose and aim was derived from being sent by the Father. 

The Gospel writer so forcefully and boldly puts forward this incredibly emboldening truth. After all these appeals from Jesus about his own purpose in being sent, Jesus turns around and says to his disciples "I am sending you". This isn't just a fascinating word choice, this is a deliberate connection. Jesus brought his own "being sent" and ties it to the disciples being sent "As the Father as sent me, I am sending you". 

Jesus had confidence during his earthly mission, he acted with authority, power, humility, and diligence. All this because he was sent by his Father. As Jesus had a purpose, power, and a passion in being sent, so too the disciples of Jesus were being sent with purpose, power, and passion. Jesus then empowered his disciples with truth, and gave them an Advocate to help them in their mission. 

What a comforting reality to those who seek in humility to follow Christ! Christ was sent by the Father and accomplished his mission. And after the ascension Christ has sent the Holy Spirit from himself and the Father to help his servants. Just as Christ accomplished his mission, we too can have confidence that we will accomplish the mission we have been sent on. Not because of our own power, our own purposes, or our own passions, but because we have been sent by Him. 

Comments

Popular Posts